Once back in Cowes we had a couple of weeks to sail around a bit more in the Solent and beyond, then the conversion started……. Lots of work!
Gary, Natasha’s Dad, has had to design, build and install a new system for Natasha to sail the boat, using Arduino, open-source software, sensors, wiring microprocessors, miles of additional wiring etc. Natasha cannot only control the boat from either helm, but can also control the sails and autopilot all by using a single straw and tongue switch, plus her computer.
Some of the adaptations that were made to Blown Away…
- Tracked overhead system for hoisting.
- Large front escape/access hatch in the front saloon window.
- Modified helm seats.
- Modified boat entry – widened.
- Davit installed for lifting the wheelchair.
- Folding ramps.
- Large rewind winches so Natasha can operate sails.
- Winch system to help Natasha get down below.
- Various wheelchair clamps.
- Running machine installed for Natasha’s exercise plus adaptations to table to accommodate the machine underneath it.
- Floating swimming platform so Natasha can get into the sea.
- Various alterations to lines, cleats, adding preventers.
- Stereo system.